A Convenient, Luxurious Bed & Breakfast in the Heart of Downtown Williamsburg
History of the Fife & Drum Inn – Historic Williamsburg Inn
A. Webster Hitchens was a successful Williamsburg merchant in the 1920s. He owned several properties on Duke of Gloucester Street. Williamsburg was about to undergo a tremendous change.
The Williamsburg Restoration Company approached him on selling his properties in the historic area. He agreed and the old Hitchens’ holdings became part of the Colonial Williamsburg Restoration. In turn, Mr. Hitchens invested in a new commercial area at the west end of town.
In 1933, the Hitchens Building opened for business. It is still owned by the descendants of Mr. Hitchens and now houses The Fife & Drum Inn – a historic Williamsburg inn.
The Inn is operated by family of Mr. Hitchens and celebrates both Williamsburg’s importance in American History and the 20th century experiences of the Hitchens family.
Each room of the Inn celebrates an aspect of Williamsburg and contains memorabilia relating to the history of the town.